SoS-Board

It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Books
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:49 am 

ATTENTION!!! All this is written under the assumption that i am right. what i am, of course Pieces of information in Red should be considered unconfirmed features.

Books
Books are dating gifts and key items with special properties

In General
There are many different books, each mainly defined by the story written within it.
If we have in game description of items, an excerpt from a given book should be available (or at least a summary of the story)

The Shelf and Desk
due to the massive amount of books and their status as collectables, there should be a special Place for the books, not in the huge mess that is the "Free inventory" of the room, but one simple, ordered Shelf.
here is a vague idea of what i think it should look like: (ROUGH SKETCH, CONTENT MAY VARY)

and maybe somewhere else for special note taking books(if empty books are bought, key events can/will be written down in there) a place.
a Desk where you can choose Dedicate/Comment/Forge-Autograph/whatever to change the xp cp gain of a book.

Gifts
they are different from other gifts in some ways:
  1. they loose their gift property(will get set to derp) after their initial use
  2. Some Books are very limited (lets say first edition Pokédex HANDWRITTEN by oak) and thus can't be bought in a/the Book shop
  3. Some books contain "Pro Tips"(Our annotaions to the game, like engine details) after gifting it to a girl she may quote from it
  4. Books can be Altered (Autographs, Annotations etc) and those alterations can Modify the xp and cp of a book
  5. Some Books are just so inconsiderate that you might loose XP
Collectables
As there are many Books (some of them are rare as... as... i dun- oh MASTERBALL) that brings the thought: what if I get all the books?
in some games you get a conglaturation upon doin something as hard as this is like collecting all the pokemon (any given gen, harder with every new),
while other stuff, easier by far, earns you the Sword of ultimate enemy slaughtering, or in the case of pokémon the right to fight mewtwo.
(if you don get it: i compare beating the elite 4 with getting all pokémon)
so to avoid frustration due too receiving hatemail and flamewars, i propose upon collection of All the books we give the player
*drumroll*
a Muffin!
And maybe some other stuff.

if you want something added just ask nicely

you are atrocious when only your family stands by your side,
but you are a monster in the moment you think it yourself

Last edited by Author on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
prefix added

Post subject: Re: Books
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

so by now, books are a special kind of key item and having them is only limited by having one of a kind max and the usual Bag packing problem, right?

Myrrhion wrote:
Some Books are just so inconsiderate that you might loose XP

I love this part. Sure we save it for later.
Just image the line:
Gary Motherfucking Oak: "Give that bitch a playboy magazine. Bitches love playboy magazines." This line was brought you by Gary Motherfucking Oak. Because of who he is, he can even talk like that in the game, unlike other cahracters.

Pokémon Dating Sim Version 1.0 Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:37 pm 

Author wrote:
so by now, books are a special kind of key item and having them is only limited by having one of a kind max and the usual Bag packing problem, right?

not necessary, Bag packing yes, but the one of a kind is relative.
Basic Math? Millions of that one flying around!
First Math book, handwritten by Gauss (with same content, because, why change it? it is extra work (lol)) what part of first didn't you get the at the beginning or the -ing uniqueness that comes with it?
they just are different, especialy their value.
but to be honest, even the thought of having the same book twice makes me sick

buuuuuut...

*sigh* freedom is our highest good so let them stack it to the heavens if they want. just make it so that they have 1 and ONLY one Free space in the Bookshelf for every Book.... did i mention the bookshelf? gonne add it right now
more than the number of girls + 1 is just plain stupid anyway, their fault. i say, if we make the item bag grid-y (lol) lets just make the books huge to discourage it.

Author wrote:
Myrrhion wrote:
Some Books are just so inconsiderate that you might loose XP

I love this part. Sure we save it for later.
Just image the line:
Gary Motherfucking Oak: "Give that bitch a playboy magazine. Bitches love playboy magazines." This line was brought you by Gary Motherfucking Oak. Because of who he is, he can even talk like that in the game, unlike other cahracters.
<-- Awesome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:59 pm 

So would you actually be able to read the books or would it be a quote and your thoughts on it or just witty comments?

Like reading a generic maths book:

'E=mc2+4(36xh) huh great but needs more dragons

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:45 pm 

Demonwing042 wrote:
So would you actually be able to read the books or would it be a quote and your thoughts on it or just witty comments?

That depends on some Factors
  1. How much extrawork what is.
  2. What books are in there (i would like to say a lot, but it depends on what i get green lighted to do)
  3. If anyone but me wants any specific books in there. (excluded is the one Book for the girl you make, the ULTIMATE Book)

My Idea: every Item Should have a "View" button for a quick summary and books should also, if we agree on something written in there, a Read button to well read an excerpt or something like that.
I am prepared to write any Number of books that I want in it (50).
15 books with commentary on the Mechanics (i would like it if everyone of the Dev team would write at least 1 with his thoughts or something of that kind and i woul apreciate it if everyone writes 5 or more we'll see)
I am also prepared to write about 10 "books" i dont like, tops.
i really want an odd Number of Books not something like X*10 + 1 (though if we would make 151 Books i am prepared to write 100 of them if you split the others between you too)
or worse X*10 something organic preferrably no 1 and definitely no 0.

summary: Give me something to work with and I'll work. oh and i am an insane Sci-Fi Fan so, expect something with robots.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:06 am 
Site Admin

Just checking for programmability.

Myrrhion wrote:
Books are dating gifts and key items with special properties
The "key item" flag doesn't exists anymore, but we could just limit each book to 1 example. Also everything is giftable.

Myrrhion wrote:
an excerpt from a given book should be available (or at least a summary of the story)
When selecting the book through the inventory or the shelf, there would be the summary and then the option to read it fully (Yes/No).

Myrrhion wrote:
due to the massive amount of books and their status as collectables, there should be a special Place for the books, not in the huge mess that is the "Free inventory" of the room, but one simple, ordered Shelf.
Agreed, adding all books to the inventory would be a mess. (This may also apply for the keys or any other collectable (with different entities, not like muffins).) However, there will be one slot for them, I'm just thinking about if only one book could be able to be carried around or make a sub-inventory. I guess I'll go for the latter one.

Myrrhion wrote:
here is a vague idea of what i think it should look like: (ROUGH SKETCH, CONTENT MAY VARY)
I will gladly give the GUI responsibility for that to you. But we should think about the compatibility with the store system. So, sub-inventory is implemented into carry-around-inventory but not stored-inventory but rather a book self? What about the keys? A keyboard maybe? I need thoughts on that. Because I just realized the number of keys could become any value, as it goes for girls as well.

Myrrhion wrote:
and maybe somewhere else for special note taking books(if empty books are bought, key events can/will be written down in there) a place.
If people want to make notes, they shall use the editor of their choice, not this game.

Myrrhion wrote:
a Desk where you can choose Dedicate/Comment/Forge-Autograph/whatever to change the xp cp gain of a book.
  1. they loose their gift property(will get set to derp) after their initial use
  2. Some Books are very limited (lets say first edition Pokédex HANDWRITTEN by oak) and thus can't be bought in a/the Book shop
  3. Some books contain "Pro Tips"(Our annotaions to the game, like engine details) after gifting it to a girl she may quote from it
  4. Books can be Altered (Autographs, Annotations etc) and those alterations can Modify the xp and cp of a book
  5. Some Books are just so inconsiderate that you might loose XP
What? Okay, interesting, but THAT would require to make the books an own class. Develop this concept further. The red things are all possible, and I'm especially proud of the easiness to implement "after gifting it to a girl she may quote from it".

Myrrhion wrote:
As there are many Books (some of them are rare as... as... i dun- oh MASTERBALL) that brings the thought: what if I get all the books?
Good question. I may add: Do you have to possess them all at a time OR just have possessed them once?
Myrrhion wrote:
in some games you get a conglaturation upon doin something as hard as this is like collecting all the pokemon (any given gen, harder with every new),
while other stuff, easier by far, earns you the Sword of ultimate enemy slaughtering, or in the case of pokémon the right to fight mewtwo.
(if you don get it: i compare beating the elite 4 with getting all pokémon)
so to avoid frustration due too receiving hatemail and flamewars, i propose upon collection of All the books we give the player
*drumroll*
a Muffin!
And maybe some other stuff.
More like "some other stuff" and "a muffin" (order important!), whereas that would be something like the 11th out of 10 (so, because of gifting limits if the player does have one already it is not given).

Myrrhion wrote:
summary: Give me something to work with and I'll work. oh and i am an insane Sci-Fi Fan so, expect something with robots.
Well, would be nice if you would refer to some of the ridiculous robots Team Rocket used in the anime.

Pokémon Dating Sim Version 1.0 Alpha