SoS-Board

It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Item Bag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:36 am 
Site Admin

So, we have the feature idea of a item bag system. So every item, even the permanent ones would get a mass and/or a volume and you have a certain limit, what you can carry. Mass would be primary limited by the protagonist's strength and volume limited by the bag you have. That would further imply you can buy bigger bags. And of course you can also store your stuff to a certain amount (a very big amount indeed) in your hotel room.
Instead of the volume being just a number like 1 for 1 cm³, we could also implement a system as the following: Your bag can be viewed as a retangular 2D-field, divided into many squares. Every item takes a certain combination of squares and you have to get it in the right order to carry acertain amount of things. EDIT: Items would also be rotateable.
Theoretically we could also have both and let the player decide what to use or to disable it completely.

Think about it. What would be pros and contras?
An obvious pro is it would be awesome (especially if you could actually choose between the three methods), contras would be we don't HAVE that much items (yet) and it would be a huge load of work the programmers (= me).

Pokémon Dating Sim Version 1.0 Alpha

Last edited by Author on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prefix added

Post subject: Re: Item Bag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:05 pm 

So the 2d bag system works like deus-ex HR did sort of it would be cool If it was possible to be able to rotate items
Certain items I think should be split into catogorys

Ex: pokè doll: 4 squares = gift (medium lvl)
Thunder stone: 6 squares = consumable/gift (high lvl) (two category's so you know what to do with it)
Potion: 2 squares = consumable
Event tickets x2: 1 square = key item

even a small description of the items would be good
Ex:
pokè doll:
A small plush pikachu toy so well made that from a distance it might be mistaken for a real pikachu

(if you want I can write up a lot more items)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:46 pm 

All in all i agree with Demonwing042 just those gifts because of their unique relations with every girl we can't show them the value (and it would kill some of the suspense and thinking, in my opinion)
or are you saying, different bags for each category i'm sorry but i can't tell.

the only problem is the size of the squares.
if we make an inventory with low square count, the size upgrade would bring too much (except we make oly like 3 Bags then i'm okay with it) and proportion (see below).
if we have a high squarecount they are harder to manipulate and organize, but the proportions are easier to manage
if i could use your examples Demonwing042:
Pikachu doll: size of pikachu or a bit less
tickets: not even a fifth of the size of Pikachu (i'm not Criticising i just want you to see my point)
in a low count environment we can't get any lower than one
so we can either make the doll bigger and the backpack high square count or cluster the inventory with not proportional items.

and maybe one slot for every hand, additional weight restrictment (lets say a 6th of backpack max weight) but no size restrictments or something like that

you are atrocious when only your family stands by your side,
but you are a monster in the moment you think it yourself

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

I should mention upgrading the 2D-bag is not that easy, since our screen is actually limited and I don't want scrollbars (I'm not even sure if these exist in Ren'Py). This is pro and contra at the same time, since our potential amount of items may be infinite and we have to display them somehow. We could also work with tabs (in both cases), but that would be much additional work from my point of view. Myrrhion, you may denote that as a feature-feature.

And please spare me with the category-bag. "Hm, I have no space for this nugget, but still space for 999 Pokebálls. Not my day I guess."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:08 pm 

In ragards to the upgrading: Scale it. just make the stuff smaller. if that is possible and humane.
and a good game to look at is Fragile dreams, the backpack system works on the same basis. (with upgrades an whatnot)
The mainproblem is (in my opinion) the Home Item inventory. I say: do it like fragile dreams. "infinite" Storage space (999 of everyhing) as seen in many jRPG's i.e. RM2K but limited pocket space.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Myrrhion wrote:
In ragards to the upgrading: Scale it. just make the stuff smaller. if that is possible and humane.

I knew I forgot something. Yes, scaling means either quality loss (if it's possible so far) or rescaling the images in before and have a thousand copies of one image (if that's humane so far).

I don't consider the room as problem. An unreal limit to each seems fine enough to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm 

Well you might be able to do it like they did in the games the different pouches for different category's I don't know if that's possible but really it's what ever is the easiest thing to do without totally half-assing it but really it wouldnt matter as long as its not extremely complex (who needs that right?) it just has to look pretty and work good

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 pm 

Demonwing042 wrote:
Well you might be able to do it like they did in the games the different pouches for different category's I don't know if that's possible but really it's what ever is the easiest thing to do without totally half-assing it but really it wouldnt matter as long as its not extremely complex (who needs that right?) it just has to look pretty and work good

Author wrote:
And please spare me with the category-bag. "Hm, I have no space for this nugget, but still space for 999 Pokebálls. Not my day I guess."

Compare it.

we could make it like Boktai: 20 Places for items, size doesnt matter but 20 slots
or we make just a "Vitual Space" Like This:
Item: Bike
  • Space Needed(effective): 20
  • Space Wasted: 1*1 1*3
and if other items are smaller in total size they can fit in there maybe, dunno

The above Mentioned idea was pulled out of my buttocks this instant, idea not something i wanted in just something to toss around