SoS-Board

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Battles (relation-wise)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:25 am 
Site Admin

We still have to consider how girls react to battles. (The thread of how battle works is here.) Here are some points to think of:
  1. You can always battle trainers, no exception. (So, as "Stranger", you could even battle Cyntia. However, if they don't have time, there's nothing you can do.)
  2. Will you win money? Or even loose some? That's the base concept of the games, but I never really saw it in the anime and I doubt this fact exists in the manga. I guess it would lead instantly to the "Meet a girl, kill her pet, stole her money, got phone number" meme. Maybe it will be enough if we create an arena later or something (because an arena during the world championships is somehow dumb).
  3. Each girl can remember the number of battles she won/tied/lost. We can use that to trigger events, but don't have to. Especially consider the next point:
  4. Maybe you need to battle (and win?) at least one time to each girl to recive the good or close friend level? Because, uh… only in a battle you can express your love to pokemon to the girl? And should this border set for each girl individually? (Please not ._.)
  5. the important question: how many exp will you recieve for battling a girl? I don't have a clue yet. But I think of something like: win – X exp, tie – X/2 exp, loose – 0 exp, give up/do something stupid – negative exp (this latter is more a feature than everything else, because neither the options nor negative exp are considered yet)

Please share your thoughs, and concerning the exp think about the exp you get for other actions

Pokémon Dating Sim Version 1.0 Alpha

Last edited by Author on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prefix added

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:53 am 

to make it perfectly clear: Battles are the Random ones in the Game whenever a trainer makes eye Contact, right?

1. Duh of course, that is how the Universe works (in pokémon at least)
  2. Moneywise:
    • in the Game (highest Canon Level) it may be like this (dramatic silence) but the Grunts and Team [insert name here] Mooks also give you money sooo off to the next one.
    • regarding anime: Whom do they battle? mainly Team rocket Gym leaders and wild pokémon. this is because in the Anime the are forced to follow some plot and mainlly Fillers. The only non-gym, non-villain battles are friendship battles where ash tries to gain a new friend. The only ONLY real pokemon fight, as it is depicted in the games, was in episode dunno 2-4? lets just say i was young. and it ended with the Metapod-off the only real pokemon battle where ash isn't fighting somone because they are said to be strong, evil or a friendship battle(wild excluded because pokémon sont have money thast insane!!!
    • Manga: about the same here battles are either against villains or championship relevant of some kind (few exceptions)
  3. I would rather say it depends on the personality of the girls. do you think misty is so obsessed with it that she bothers to remember more than lets say the first? Those obsessed with winning are a different story altogether.
  4. as in the point above depends on the girl.
  5. This is very important so I gonna throw my 2 pennys in: it depends on the girl. Not everybody is about winning and so on. An exhausting loss is more satisfying than an easy win. oh and i think we should punish curbstomping.

so now for everyone who tl;dr's easy and to summarize it: It depends. how much freedom with the girls are we getting? or are we going to sacrifice realism for easier porgramming(I'm okay wit that by the way)? Every person is unique, that doesnt mean we have to programm it individually but instead of win/tie/loss we should make it broader: easy/normal/hard win or loss and close/random ties.
as always feel free to ask away.

you are atrocious when only your family stands by your side,
but you are a monster in the moment you think it yourself

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

So, what was your conclusion to Point 2?

Also, about Point 5, I would like to have a default value and only let it depend by a factor between 0 and 2 inclusive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 pm 

My conclusion is: it doesnt make sense the whole money thing. so let it be

I see it like this: if in doubt take the first value we set 100(Middle gift, our default value per se) and then multiply the -ing shit out of it. just stretch the number from 0 to 4

but , we should realy make it:
Utter defeat -> (lost while enemy had more than 80% of HP left)
normal loss -> (lost while enemy had less than 80% of Hp left)
narrow loss -> (lost while enemy had less than 20% of HP left)
tie -> (self explanatory)
Narrow victory -> (won with less than 20% of Hp left)
Normal Victory -> (won with more than 20% of Hp left)
Curbstomping (won with more than 80% of HP left)

i will go in depth if you give me green light about the 7 Results.
also, the character creator sgould decide what is fitting, an than we fiddle with it so it works.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

well, I sure haven't planned it like this. Let me see...
Okay, the main issue is the max battle HP of the girl is not saved and so the battle itself just tells you who won. On the other side you have the girl's remaining HP afterwards, as well as yours. If I make it too individually, it would be somewhat lowlevel on the Ren'Py level. So I say a writer may determine a and b in exp = a*x + b, where x is the default for your 7 possible battle endings. It could be different each fight, but I would not support that, since if you really need to, you can always just add exp. Of course a and b are constants (and could be negative), and do especially not depend on the milestone. This way, I can implement it into the interaction system.

If you're fine that far, suggest default values for the 7 x. I agree I could be normed with 100, where I see the norm when you win and have about 50% HP left. Also suggest another one with neg. exp, as the future better one (you may just round negative ones to 0, when you do the the first defaults). Please stick with integers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:56 pm 

So about you post:
do the hp of the girl Change during gameplay? if so when/how?

and i thought more in the line of: for any given ending a girl gives you exp accordinly, some are sore looser, others love a good Challenge. so acces a List with the 7 result types and corresponding xp and give them out. thats all.
but if you answer my first question with yes and my second with Something in the line of "Whenever/However I want" then we would need a extra variable for that.